Sunday, April 22, 2012

Welcome to Our Backyard...

The following are some of the birds that you might see if you visit our backyard here in Mexico. I apologize for some of the pictures, as many of these birds don't like to sit still while I'm taking their pictures! We have been very pleased with the variety of birds that visit our fountain. Enjoy!


Warbler
March 2012
I'm not positive about this warbler, there are so many!
I think it might be an Orange-crowned Warbler, but I could be wrong. She looks very similar to the female Yellow-rumped Warbler, but she lacks the white tips on her wings.


Wilsons Warbler
March 2012
This is another very common bird that comes to the fountain every day. We love to eat breakfast each morning and watch all the different birds that come to bathe and get a drink. It helps that the people behind us have caged birds. It encourages them to come visit our house.



Yellow-rumped Warbler
(male)(top and bottom)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (female) (in the middle)
March 2012
All of the Warblers are new to me as far as identification is concerned.
I've seen them before, but never really knew how many different types there were.
It has been fun to learn about them all.


Great-tailed Grackle (male)
November 2011
We get lots of these big, beautiful birds every day at the fountain. They love to bathe
and get a drink of cool water. when the sun hits them just right, their black feathers
appear to be a shimmering dark blue color.


Inca Dove
March, 2012
although doves are quite common just about everywhere,
I had never seen this particular type before, so I was excited to see her.


Western Scrub Jay
March 2012

This beautiful bird was a real surprise, too. He doesn't come in the yard a lot,
but its a treat when he shows up.




Red Tanager (Adult Male)
February 2012
this bird came to our upstairs window every day for a week, pecking at the window and flying up and down the window. I'm not sure what he wanted, but after about a week, he stopped coming.




Lesser Goldfinch (male) and Nashville Warbler (female)
February 2012
We get a lot of warblers (yellow and gray) in the backyard and sometimes its hard to
distinguish them, but we are learning. The goldfinch (black and yellow) was a real
surprise to me. I didn't know goldfinches could be so beautiful!



Rufous-backed Robin (female)
March 2012
This is one of our favorite birds. She typically comes into the yard in the morning,
gets a drink and is gone, so when we see her its a treat!



Magnificent Hummingbird
February 2012
Of course, no garden or backyard is free of hummingbirds, if you're lucky! We get several of these visitors every day and love to watch them flit and fly until they land at the fountain for a drink. We have also seen a Broad-billed Hummingbird, but no pictures, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment